Pages

Monday, March 21, 2011

Flour's Famous Banana Bread

I just realised that its been almost a whole month since my last post.  Time really flies when one is super busy at work.  Its not so much that I've stopped baking totally.  Its just that I've been feeling rather uninspired to write lately. My brain and mind blank out the moment I come back home from work each day.  Even my experimental baking is now limited to simple stuff like muffins...and...more muffins.


Anyway, taking off from my last banana post, let me return to my leftover bananas.  Being almost the kind of person that loathe tossing out any still edible food, I decided to try out Flour's Famous Banana Bread courtesy of Joanne Chang in her book, Flour.  The resulting cake is very moist with a deep banana flavor.  Definitely my go-to recipe for banana bread from now on.  By the way, I did not use a one-month old decomposed bananas for this - instead, this banana bread post is one month late :)


You will need:
210 g all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
180 g castor sugar
2 eggs
100 g canola oil
340 g very ripe bananas (skin off), mashed
2 tbsp crème fraiche or sour cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
75 g walnuts, toasted and chopped

Preparation:
Set oven to 175 deg C.  Grease and line the bottom of a 9-by-5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper.

Sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Beat sugar and eggs on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. On low speed, slowly drizzle in the oil. Add mashed bananas, crème fraiche, and vanilla. Fold in dry ingredients and nuts. Pour into the prepared loaf pan and bake for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment