Pages

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Eggless Carbonara

My family and close friends would know that I have an immense fear of eating raw or even slightly uncooked eggs.  I mean, I do love eggs, but as long as they are still runny (even the slightest), you won't see me eating it.  I have caused many delays in the breakfast buffet lines as I would insist that the chefs flip my omelets over and cooking them a few extra minutes so that they are cooked throughly both sides. Of all the food phobias in the world, mine is runny eggs.  Weird, I know.


Which brings me to this post.  I wanted to make some carbonara as I had plenty of bacon stocked up in my fridge.  But since partially raw eggs are not my forte, I decided to create my own version of the eggless carbonara.  I know I know, proponents of the true carbonara would argue that the eggs will be cooked from the heat of the pan and the pasta, but I'm not taking any chances :P.


The result ? You won't tell the difference, I promise you.









You will need:
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 medium sized yellow onion, chopped
12 strips of streaky bacon, cut into short strips
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper, to taste
Adequate spaghetti or fettucine


Preparation:
Cook the pasta until al dente. Drain well and return to the pan.


Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the onions and garlic and fry over low heat until soft.  Add bacon and continue to fry over low heat for approx 3 minutes.  Add in the cream and mix well over low heat.  Add in the Parmesan cheese, stirring the entire time until the mixture thickens up slightly.  Season with salt and pepper.  Remove from heat, toss in the pasta and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment