Pages

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Classic French Baguette

I recently attended a bread baking course conducted by French chef, Nathalie Arbefeuille of Nathalie's Gourmet Studio.  Besides picking up some recipes for various French breads as well as baking techniques, I noted that the French are fiercely passionate and proud of their bread (or rather, food in general).  With such passion, its no wonder that French cuisine has always been considered as one of the best in the world.

When I first started learning how to bake bread a year ago, one of my goals was to be able to bake amongst others, the classic French baguette.  To this end, I decided to put into practice the baguette recipe that I had picked up during the baking class.  I religiously applied the same precision that Chef Nathalie had demonstrated, from the correct temperature of the water/dough to the correct angle for the slashing of the baguette, all of which are crucial to allow proper proofing of the bread.

So, here you go.  My first attempt on the classic French baguette.  I am glad to report that the resulting baguette looked and tasted the same as the ones which we made during the class.  Rustic looking with a crispy crust and slightly chewy insides.


And the best way to enjoy your baguette ?  With French butter (President) and French cheese of course, although the closest French cheese I have in my fridge is the Laughing Cow cheese spread (pictured below) :).  But really, the baguette is amazingly versatile, and you can have it anyway you like.  For dinner, we used it to soak up our goulash, and it was so yummy.


P/S: I will not provide the recipe for this baguette here as it may not be very appropriate to do so.  However, do e-mail me if you would like the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment