Pages

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Carrot & Walnut Cake

Ottolenghi is a pattiserie in London.  I recalled buying pastries from their then only outlet in Notting Hill sometime ago when I was in London.  What I didn't know is that they have grown from one to four outlets and is so popular now.  I happened to chance upon Ottolenghi: The Cookbook by the owners, Yotam Ottolenghi and Sami Tamimi one day, and immediately got myself a copy of the book.


This Carrot & Walnut Cake recipe is my maiden attempt from the book and I look forward to trying more recipes from there.

While the cake looks gorgeous, and I am getting feedback that it is soft, moist and great tasting, I did not have a chance to try taste it.  I baked the cake late last night to have it served for tea today with some friends, but somehow, developed a fever over the night and had to cancel tea.  Stomach flu, my Dr says.  And he has put me on a strict diet comprising only white congee and isotonic drink for 2 days.  I did sneaked a taste of the icing though - While cleaning up after taking some photos, some icing smeared on my fingers and I conveniently forgot about the Dr's order and licked them off. That doesn't qualify as eating does it ? I was merely cleaning my fingers :P.

You will need:

Cake
160 g plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves (I omitted this)
1 large egg
1 egg yolk
200 g sunflower oil
270 g caster sugar
50 g walnuts, chopped
50 g desiccated coconut (I omitted this and replaced with 50 g raisins)
135 g carrot, roughly grated
2 free-range egg whites
a pinch of salt

Icing
175 g cream cheese, at room temperature
70 g unsalted butter
35 g icing sugar
25 g honey
30 g walnuts, chopped and lightly toasted

Preparation:
Preheat the oven to 170 deg Celsius. Grease a 20cm springform cake tin and line the base and sides with baking parchment.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and spices. Lightly whisk the whole egg with the egg yolk.

Put the sunflower oil and caster sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the beater attachment and beat for about a minute on a medium speed. On a low speed, slowly add the beaten egg.

Mix in the walnuts, coconut and carrot and then the sifted dry ingredients. Do not over mix.


Transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Wash and dry the mixer bowl, making sure it is totally clean, then put the egg whites and salt in it and whisk on a high speed until firm peaks form. Gently fold the egg whites into the carrot mixture in 3 additions, being careful not to over mix. Streaks of white in the mixture are okay.

Pour the cake mixture into the prepared tin and bake for approximately 1 hour; it could take longer. A skewer inserted in the centre should come out dry. If the cake starts getting dark before the centre is cooked through, cover it with foil. Let the cake cool completely and then remove from the tin.

To make the icing, beat the cream cheese in a mixer until light and smooth. Remove from the mixer. Beat the butter, icing sugar and honey in the mixer until light and airy. Fold together the cheese and butter mixes.  Spread waves of icing on top of the cake and sprinkle with the nuts.


P/S: This fever is definitely not bringing out the best of me - I blew my top today at a close friend who cared and was only trying to help.  I'm sorry.  It was the fever talking and I hope you don't take it personally.  I'm a little better now after my pill cocktail.  Thank god for modern medicine.

No comments:

Post a Comment