Pages

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Red Velvet

I don't whole-heartedly endorse using copious amounts of artificial coloring in food, but the devil in me has been chanting "red velvet red velvet" for weeks, if not, months now.  Personally, I do find a red cake disturbing but at the same time, I am curiously fascinated.




To satisfy my burning curiosity, I decided to take the plunge yesterday.  The result ? Be warned - This cake is indeed very, very red.  Much more red than I had expected.  It took me awhile to warm up to it.  And if you find it disturbing just as I did at first, you might want to eat it with your eyes closed :P.

This recipe is from Heavenly Cakes by Rose Levy Beranbaum.  A note from the author "For a distinct chocolate flavour, you can use up to 1/4 cup cocoa, sifted before measuring, but decrease the flour by the same amount.  The colour will be a much darker red."  Imagine that. A redder cake. Oh dear.

Anyway, red or not, this cake is actually quite good.  I can't say that I love the dreamy creamy white chocolate frosting though as I found the almond scent a bit too overpowering for my liking.  Also, it was quite unfortunate that my cake rose higher in the center than the sides.  I think I know why.  My oven setting may be too high.  I had set the oven at 175 deg Celsius as recommended by the recipe.  But I forgot that I was using the fan function, and should have actually reduced it by 20 deg Celsius.

You will need:

Cake
3 large egg whites, at room temperature
2 tbsp red food color
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 cups cake flour, sifted
1 cup superfine sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup canola or safflower oil, at room temperature
57 g unsalted butter
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk

Dreamy creamy white chocolate frosting
85 g white chocolate, chopped
113 g cream cheese, softened but still cool
28 g butter, softened but still cool
1/2 tbsp creme fraiche or sour cream
1/8 tsp almond extract

Preparation:
Prepare an 8 inch round pan, bottom and sides coated with baking spray, and bottom lined with parchment paper.  Set oven rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat the oven to 175 deg Celsius.

Whisk the egg whites, red food color and vanilla until lightly combined.

Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cocoa and salt.

Mix oil and butter in bowl with electric mixer on medium speed for 1 minute. Add flour mixture and buttermilk; mix on low until dry ingredients are moistened.  Raise speed to medium and beat for 1 1/2 minutes. Scrape down sides of the bowl.

Starting at medium-low speed, gradually beat in the egg mixture in two parts, beating on medium speed for 30 seconds after each addition to incorporate the ingredients and strengthened the structure. Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth surface evenly.

Bake for 25 - 35 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean and cake springs back when pressed lightly in the center.  Let cake cool in the pan on a wire rack 10 minutes. Run a knife alon the sides of the pan, and invert the cake onto a wire rack. To prevent splitting, reinvert the cake so that the top side is up. Cool completely. Frost with white chocolate frosting.


To make the white chocolate frosting, microwave white chocolate in a bowl every 15 seconds, stirring with a spatula until almost completely melted.  Remove from microwave and stir until fully melted. Allow to cool until it is no longer warm to the touch but still fluid.

Beat softened cream cheese, softened unsalted butter and creme fraiche until smooth. Add the white chocolate and beat until smooth.  Beat in the almond extract until smooth.


P/S: Little Missy brought some cake to her kindy.  I hope I don't get any cold stares from the teachers, or worse, stoned by any of the moms out there :P.

2 comments:

  1. when i bake my red velvet cake, i reduce the colouring by half. so become less red and not so guilty of the artificial colouring we consumed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, when I first started, I thought of either reducing it too or to extract the red from a beetroot. But on the other hand, I wanted to test the full effects of it. So I reluctantly succumbed :P

    ReplyDelete