Pages

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Go Bananas

I am not a fan of bananas in fruit form, but I do love it in a cake.  Banana cakes are the perfect solution for me when I am faced with a stock of unfinished bananas which have gotten brown/black, and no longer palatable to the eyes. And for cakes, the rule of the thumb is the riper the bananas, the better the flavour. Having said that, perhaps I should qualify that if your bananas have ripen beyond recognition, it's time for the rubbish bin :P.



You will need:
2 eggs
250 g sugar
250 g bananas

1/8 tsp salt
90 g milk
250 g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
150 g corn oil
100 g sultanas
80 g chopped walnuts


Preparation:
Preheat oven to 180 deg Celsius.


Sift flour, baking powder and baking soda together.


Whip the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy. Mash the bananas together with the salt, and add to the egg mixture.  Whip until thick.


Add milk to the egg mixture, mix until well-blended.  Add in the flour, and mix until well-combined.


Add in corn oil, mix until well incorporated.  Finally, mix the raisins in the batter.


Scoop into cupcake moulds till two third full and sprinkle with chopped walnuts.  Bake for 25-30 minutes.


(Recipe source: Baking Code by Alex Goh)




P/S: You can bake this in cupcake form as I have done, or in a loaf pan. Just remember to adjust the heat and baking time accordingly.

P/S: This post is for my friend, KJN, who has asked me for a nice banana cake recipe. This is such a cinch to make. Promise me that you'll make this soon.  Happy baking !


No comments:

Post a Comment